Caramelized Onions with Green Peppers | Morsels of Life

Caramelized Onions with Green Peppers

Morsels of Life - Caramelized Onions with Green Peppers - Onions caramelized with a bit of maple syrup, bacon, and green peppers.

This dish started out as just an onion and a green pepper, but then it kind of took on a life of its own. I started out slightly caramelizing the onions, but then I found that I hadn't added enough oil. Instead of adding more oil, I thought I'd add some bacon for more flavor. Since I didn't want to completely caramelize the onions and the bacon I used was maple smoked, I added a bit of maple syrup. Overall, I think it turned out much better than expected while cooking and significantly better than the original planned dish!

Have you ever made a dish with lots of "on the fly" edits which turned out much better than expected?


by
Onions caramelized with a bit of maple syrup, bacon, and green peppers.

Materials:

Mass Weight Volume Number Material Notes
1-2 onion(s)
1 green pepper
1 slice bacon, chopped or bacon bits
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon oil I used olive.
1 teaspoon jalapeno sauce


Methods:

  1. Slice onion "with the grain." Onions tend to stay together better while cooking when sliced "with the grain" as opposed to "against the grain."
  2. Heat oil, chopped bacon, and onions, stirring to coat.
  3. Add in maple syrup after caramelization starts. The sugars in the maple syrup will also help the caramelization process.
  4. When onions are almost sufficiently caramelized, add in jalapeno sauce and green peppers.
  5. Continue cooking until green peppers are finished. I stopped when the green peppers were still slightly crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment