Mashed Rutabaga | Morsels of Life

Mashed Rutabaga

Morsels of Life - Mashed Rutabaga - Sweet rutabaga mashed with potatoes and carrots flavored with onion.

Rutabaga was another exploratory purchase since I had never eaten or cooked rutabaga before. After a brief recipe search, I found that many recipes seemed to be for mashed rutabaga or some variation of mashed rutabaga. I later found out that Swedes and Norwegians cook their rutabagas similarly, but they also add cream or milk to create a puree called rotmos (Swedish for root mash), where onion is sometimes added. Combining the basics of the recipes, I decided to used mashed carrots and potatoes in addition to the rutabaga, making for a bright orange color! I also added some onion for additional flavor. The taste of the rutabaga surprised me since I smelled a radish like scent when cutting the rutabaga, but the rutabaga tasted somewhat sweet.

What are some of your favorite exploratory purchases?


by
Sweet rutabaga mashed with potatoes and carrots flavored with onion.


Materials:

Mass Weight Volume Number Material Notes
1 rutabaga, mashed
2 carrots, mashed
3 potatoes, mashed
1 teaspoon onion powder


Methods:

  1. Mix all materials.

Notes: I didn't feel like mashing the rutabaga with a fork, so I used my recently repaired food processor (broken while making pumpkin cranberry bread), and it resulted in a very smooth creamy texture. Between the texture and the sweetness, you could probably use it as a spread. I prefer my mashed potatoes a bit chunkier, and if you prefer a chunkier mashed rutabaga, it might not be a great idea to use a food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment