Chai Tea | Morsels of Life

Chai Tea

Morsels of Life - Chai Tea

One of my favorite, if not my favorite drinks is chai tea, but most pre-made versions aren't quite "spice-y" enough for me, so I usually have to add more spices or combine two kinds, some tea and some mix, for example. Given how much I like chai, I figured it was about time for me to make some chai from scratch. Following this recipe with loose leaf chai resulted in a tea that was just a tad bit strong for me, so I might use plain black tea next time, or I might try decreasing the amount of spices used or I might just enjoy it stronger. :) One definite advantage to making your own chai tea is the amount of flexibility in changing it to suit your tastes. Some other things that you could try are star anise, nutmeg, orange peel, green tea instead of black, etc. While I didn't try any of those this time, I will definitely try at least some of those next time! You can also decrease the amount or eliminate any of the materials that you're not liking. The method is not much harder than making tea! Just throw all the materials together, boil for a while, and then filter and you're good to go! The only slightly tricky part was the filtering because I used powdered cinnamon, and that tends to turn a bit slimy when boiled. If that's a concern, you could try using cardamom or extra cinnamon sticks instead. I didn't find it difficult to just pour everything through a wire mesh strainer, although I did move the mesh around a bit to get some faster flow.

by

Materials:

Mass Weight Volume Number Material Notes
water
tea I used loose leaf black tea.
cream or milk I used milk in one cup.
sweetener I used honey.
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
10 allspice berries
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1-2 cinnamon sticks


Methods:

  1. Mix all ingredients except sweetener and cream.
  2. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until tea is desired strength.
  3. Strain into cup.
  4. Add cream and sweetener if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment