Roasted Sweet Potato and Plantain Soup | Morsels of Life

Roasted Sweet Potato and Plantain Soup

Morsels of Life - Roasted Sweet Potato and Plantain Soup

When I opened up the blender, 3 drops fell in, forming eyes and a mouth, so I'm sharing it with you all!

I recently got some plantains, and I wasn't sure what to do with them since I didn't want to make maduros asados or fried plantains again. Not that they weren't tasty, but I like to try new ways of preparing foods, and besides, what would I post about if I didn't try new things? :P After going through a bunch of recipes, I decided on this one, from Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook. I was initially hesitant since the few Bobby Flay recipes I had tried in the past weren't that great and the recipe seemed like it was a bit lot more work than it needed to be. But, this soup was quite delicious, so I guess he does have some good recipes, being an Iron Chef and all. I'm also glad to report that this soup doesn't have to be nearly as time consuming or as difficult as the recipe suggests. I went ahead and roasted both the plantains and sweet potatoes because I figured if I was going to roast one, I might as well get the extra flavor and roast both since it's not really any extra work. After roasting, I went ahead and blended the roasted sweet potato and plantains with the coconut milk, thinking that maybe I could skip cooking the soup, but I ended up with something that set to the consistency of frozen ice cream (and would make a delicious dessert)! However tasty, it was not a soup. I could have added more water/stock and continued blending, but the blender looked pretty full, so I just whisked in more liquid until it reached a more soup-like consistency. This soup tasted smoothly sweet and creamy, and I would definitely recommend it! The sweetness of the sweet potato and plantains perfectly balances the creamy coconut milk for a wonderful and creamy soup. This soup is quite sweet, and it could even be a dessert soup.


by

Materials:

Mass Weight Volume Number Material Notes
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chunked
1 plantain, peeled
water/stock
1 cup coconut milk
salt
pepper


Methods:

  1. Roast sweet potato and plantain.
  2. Combine sweet potato, plantain, coconut milk, and stock in a blender and blend (or use an immersion blender) until desired consistency reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment