Cassava Patties | Morsels of Life

Cassava Patties

Morsels of Life - Cassava Patties - Sweetly savory cassava patties with just a hint of onion.

I ask James to buy something new when he gets the groceries every week, and this week, he actually did! Thus, I get to share cassava with you all! After doing a quick search, I decided on this recipe. Cassava, also known as yucca, is a major source of carbohydrates (the world's third largest). In fact, it is sometimes referred to as "the bread of the tropics." This starch rich food also contains calcium, phosphorus, and Vitamin C. However, the protein content is low. On the other hand, the leaves are quite protein rich. Cassava should be cooked before eating, and it can substitute for potatoes. Although I only steamed the cassava, I'd recommend actually boiling it. Compared to potatoes, cassava is MUCH starchier (and stickier) and a bit sweeter, although it is a subtle sweetness. The stickiness made it easier to keep the patties from falling apart while cooking, so I think the egg might be optional. But, it stuck to everything! Even though I only used one cassava root, I still had to work in batches so my food processor wouldn't get overwhelmed. I tried using a food processor to turn the cassava into a mash the cassava since my usual mashing technique (forks) was getting me nowhere fast. After talking to someone, he said it was probably because I steamed the cassava, and it wouldn't be as much of an issue if I had actually followed directions and boiled it. (Helpful hint - wet your hands before forming the patties. You can thank me later. :P) These cassava patties were actually surprisingly flavorful, especially considering that the primary ingredient is basically starch, and only 3 ingredients were used in the patties. The onion and cassava flavors went together perfectly for a sweetly savory cassava patty.


by


Materials:

Mass Weight Volume Number Material Notes
1 cassava root, peeled
1 egg
2 tablespoons onion powder
oil


Methods:

  1. Boil cassava root until tender and then drain water.
  2. Mash cassava root. Since I can't follow directions and steamed it, I had a bit of difficulty here, but it shouldn't be too difficult if you can follow directions and boil it.
  3. Mix all materials (except oil) until homogeneous.
  4. Form patties. Mine were about 2 inches in diameter, but you can make just about any size you like. Wet your hands before forming the patties to help prevent too much sticking to your hands.
  5. Pan fry until golden brown on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment